IESA Speech Contest

By: Laney Heggemeyer

Don’t let the name fool you! This is an acting contest, where kids from all across Illinois act before a judge without costumes or props. The real competition is for “Judge’s Choice,” which you get when you’re your judge’s favorite act. You’re rated from 1 (being the best) through 3 (the downfall).

On November 3rd,2018 some of our JMS Post Newspaper staff, including myself, took part in this event. Our news editors, Ana Olson and Emersen Geis, did a small group and performed “The Young and the Soapless”, with Maddie Geis. Emersen and Maddie also did their own skit, “The Wreck of the Friendship.” Mason Daniels and Anthony Diaz Stack did an improv duet, and my partner and I performed “A Fine Line.” All the scripted acts were written by the amazing Ken Bradbury. There were also some other acts from Jefferson.  

You’re given 3 options for Speech; duet improv, duet skit, and small group skit. You talk to Mrs. O’Neil and pick out scripts if you decide to do a duet skit or a small group. You go practice once a week, and if there’s a conflict, you go a different day. Sometimes if you need extra help, you schedule an extra day of practice. There is a final dress rehearsal, where you go and perform in front of the team. Then, the following morning you go to the school who is hosting the contest and perform in front of the judge.

Sure, it can be a little nerve – racking, but I can confirm that it goes by in a flash. You can watch other groups, and support your team. There is, however, a fee. It’s $3 for adults and $2 for kids. Your fee is already paid by Mrs. O’Neil.

Next year, think about signing up! It’s work, but it’s fun and worth it in the end.