By: Gracie Hanlon and Sofia Marquez
Are you going to be stuck at home during spring break? Are you fatally bored? Well we have recipes for you! Follow these and you might have a full stomach over these next couple of days!
NOT FOR KETO PEOPLE, OR VEGANS! We have a cookie cake recipe, easy meringues and a “healthier alternative”, banana oatmeal cookies!
Hello! Just in case you’re stuck at home during spring break, or a weekend or weekday and you’re bored, here is a quick recipe you can whip up in about 1 hour and 30 minutes! (Warning: these are addictive, so eat with caution.)
3 egg whites
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pinch of salt
1)Preheat the oven to 200 degrees fahrenheit, and prepare 2 parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
2) In a stand mixer (or bowl and hand mixer) whip the egg whites until foamy. Add in the salt, and vanilla extract.
3) Whip the egg whites until medium stiff peaks form, then gradually add in the sugar. Whip again until stiff peaks form. If you want to take a huge risk, grab the bowl and put it over your head, if the egg whites stay put in the bowl, you have achieved stiff peaks! (I do not take fault for giving you this idea, if the egg whites fell out and your kitchen is a mess.)
4) Put a bag in a tall glass, flipping the edges inside out. Then using a spatula put the meringue in the bag, cut the tip and began piping Chips Ahoy sized dollops.
5) Put the finished cookies in the oven for 1 hour, checking every once in a while.
6) When out of the oven, let sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour to harden.
Enjoy with caution!
Banana Oatmeal Cookies:
The second recipe is these delicious banana oatmeal cookies. They only require a few ingredients but there are many things you can add in to spice them up a bit. They are also a great way to get rid of brown bananas you might have. Plus, they are also somewhat healthy and are great snacks.
Brown Bananas (the number isn’t exact but two would be my recommendation)
1.5 cups of Oats
⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
Extra ingredient ideas:
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2) Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. (or you can use cooking spray)
3) In a medium sized bowl mash your bananas until they are broken down (that’s honestly my favorite part). You can mash with a fork or if you have one a potato masher.
4) Next, add in the oats and stir until it’s all mixed together properly, it should look like a thick batter. If your batter looks runny add in more oats until your batter is able to form a cookie.
5) Once you have achieved this batter, you can add in the chocolate chips! Mix until the chips are spread throughout the batter. (This is also when you can add any extra add-ins!)
6) Now using a spoon, scoop out some batter and plop it onto your baking sheet. You can kind of shape it with your hands to fix it up. Make as many as you can!
7) Finally bake for 12-15 minutes until they are lightly golden. Once they cool you can enjoy them warm! You can also freeze some for later – they taste great both ways! (Also eat with caution. I can almost guarantee you will want more!)
Surprisingly cookie cake is not that hard to make. So for our third recipe we’re doing just that! This cookie cake recipe doesn’t make the typical flat and large cookie but instead a smaller but thicker cookie. You can even top it with frosting or whipped cream or anything else you like.
10 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
⅔ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup white sugar
1 egg and 1 yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then grease a 9 inch cake pan. (I used a 8 inch pan when I first made this so whatever you have will work)
2) Cream the brown sugar, white sugar, and butter together in a stand mixer for two minutes.
3) Then blend in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
4) Next add in your dry ingredients: the flour, salt, and baking soda, mix until combined. It should start to become more like dough.
5) Now for the best part, the chocolate chips! Take your bowl off the stand mixer and mix in the chocolate chips using a spatula. Save 2 tablespoons of your chocolate chips for later!
6) Take your dough and put into your greased pan, pressing it down with your hands until it meets all the edges. Before you do this wet your hands slightly so your hands aren’t covered in cookie batter. (unless you want them to be)
7) Sprinkle the rest of your chocolate chips on top and then press them into the batter softly.
8) Bake your cookie cake for 22-25 minutes until the top of the cookie is golden brown.
9) Once it’s done, let it completely cool before removing it from the pan.
Finally, once your cookie cake is out of the pan you decorate it with frosting or just eat it as is! Enjoy your delicious cookie cake with a glass of milk! We hope you enjoy all three cookie recipes!!